Above the fold in SEO: What You Need To Know
What is ‘above the fold’ on a webpage?
‘Above the fold’ is the top area of your webpage and is the content your users first see when they land on a page on your website. First impressions count, so, it must load quickly, be eye-catching, informative and compelling enough to entice customers to stay.
It’s the first and best chance to make an impression. It’s where you can showcase your brand, get your message across and attract visitors. Your above-the-fold content directly impacts your engagement metrics, as it can encourage users to explore the rest of the site and its offerings.
That said, designing the perfect above-the-fold experience requires a fine balance between design, content and functionality.
What is “above the fold” in SEO?
Above the fold in SEO are the search results users first see when a search engine like Google or Bing serves the search results. As with your own webpage, what Google’s user sees here is by far the most impactful and important part of the Search Engine Results Page. Most people will not scroll down the page: they will click on one of the results that they see when the page first loads. That is why everyone in SEO wants to rank #1 🙂
What is “above the fold” in Brand SERP Optimisation?
At Kalicube we focus on the search results for brand names (Brand SERPs).
You probably already rank #1, however, the overall impression your Brand SERP gives your audience is your focus here. More on this later.
Why is the “above the fold” area of your website so important?
The “above the fold” area is important because users have short attention spans and statistics tell us we have around three seconds to show users they are in the right place. So your above-the-fold section must show users who you are, what you do and who you do it for – in three seconds or less.
Few users will scroll down a page to get more information unless they are engaged and interested.
Pro Tip: Make sure the top of the page is perfect: place the most relevant and compelling content above the fold. If the top part is catchy and informative, it can be enough to convince a visitor to explore your website in more detail and learn more about your service/product.
Best practices for designing websites “above the fold”
Here are some key practices to keep in mind:
- Keep your design simple.
- Make the content engaging.
- Design your content to be user-friendly.
- Solve challenges for the reader.
- Make sure your page loads fast.
- Use HTML5 headings correctly
What are the benefits of “above-the-fold Optimisation”?
Above-the-fold optimization is critical to ensure your website visitors don’t bounce off the page. That way, you can increase the chances of visitors becoming customers. By optimising the content above the fold, you can:
- Increase user engagement by prompting them to buy or contact you immediately.
- Greet users with on-brand messaging.
- Highlight the value of your product or service.
- Show the transformation your visitors will get if they choose to purchase from you.
Remember, attention is everything in the online world. By optimising the ‘above the fold’ area, you can make a strong first impression and maximise the chances of converting visitors into valuable customers.
Pitfalls and Drawbacks
In the world of Brand SERP optimisation and Knowledge Panel management, the concept of “above the fold” is critical to creating a positive user experience. However, there are also some potential pitfalls and drawbacks that businesses need to be aware of.
- First, it’s important to avoid burying important information below the fold. Users want to find the information they’re looking for quickly and easily, and if it’s hidden too far down the page, they may become frustrated and leave the site. However, it’s equally important not to overload the top of the page with too much information, as this can overwhelm users and lead to information overload.
Therefore, to achieve effective website optimization, companies must strike a balance between design aesthetics and SEO considerations. Focusing solely on content above the fold without considering these pitfalls and drawbacks can lead to a suboptimal user experience, lower conversion rates, and lower visibility in search engine rankings.
In short, the Kalicube method of website optimization emphasizes both aesthetics and functionality to create a user-friendly experience and drive traffic and conversions.
How Does “above the fold” Fit Into Brand SERP Optimisation and Knowledge Panel Management?
In the context of Brand SERP optimization and Knowledge Panel management, it is important that the most important information about a brand is displayed “above the fold” on your website and the search engine results pages. This ensures that users can quickly and easily find the information they need and have a positive experience with the brand.
At Kalicube, we recommend a holistic approach to above-the-fold Brand SERP, optimization – and we don’t only focus on your website – we focus on embedding your brand in the above-the-fold section of the search results page using Knowledge Panels and rich features to ensure your brand and website dominates the above the fold section of the search results and works seamlessly together to create an immersive and memorable experience for your visitors.
The Kalicube Process allows brands to:
- Trigger and manage solid Knowledge Panels that dominate the real estate on the SERP. By using this process, brands can take control of a significant portion of the search results page and ensure that their information and brand identity are prominently displayed to users.
- Create rich features like sitelinks to increase the visibility and accessibility of a brand’s website by displaying additional links below the main search result. These additional links allow brands to direct users to specific sections or pages on their site, creating a seamless and optimised user experience.
- Build unbreakable bonds with users. Through the Kalicube process, brands build deep connections with their audiences that go beyond transactional interactions and foster lasting loyalty. By bringing their expertise, credibility, and thought leadership to bear through the process’ methods, brands become trusted advisors that build long-term relationships based on trust and mutual respect.
This means Google has given your brand its stamp of approval through the Knowledge Panel and is happy to recommend your brand with rich features because it transforms your brand and website from one blue link in the results to a business card the search engines have created just for you.
This information on your Brand SERP should be relevant, represent your brand narrative in your words and catch the user’s attention to encourage them to click through to the brand’s website or social media profiles.
Website Content Manager. Joined Kalicube in February 2022
Copywriting and Promotions. Joined Kalicube in December 2022